What is guerrilla marketing?
Guerrilla marketing is an unconventional marketing strategy that uses low-cost, creative tactics to promote a product or service. It often relies on the element of surprise or shock to generate buzz and attention. Guerrilla marketing campaigns can be carried out offline or online, and can be as simple as handing out flyers or as elaborate as creating a viral video.
Benefits of guerrilla marketing
Guerrilla marketing has a number of benefits, including:
- Low cost: Guerrilla marketing campaigns can be executed on a very tight budget, making them ideal for small businesses and startups.
- High impact: Guerrilla marketing campaigns can be very effective at generating buzz and attention, even with a limited budget.
- Creativity: Guerrilla marketing campaigns often involve creative and innovative tactics, which can help your brand stand out from the competition.
- Target audience: Guerrilla marketing campaigns can be tailored to reach specific target audiences.
Examples of guerrilla marketing
Here are a few examples of successful guerrilla marketing campaigns:
- Volkswagen Beetle: In 1999, Volkswagen launched a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the new Beetle. The campaign involved placing giant Beetles in unexpected places, such as on top of buildings and in the middle of busy intersections. The campaign was very successful at generating buzz and attention for the new Beetle.
- Oreo: In 2011, Oreo launched a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote its cookies during the Super Bowl. The campaign involved creating a blackout on Twitter during the game and then tweeting a simple image of an Oreo cookie with the caption “You can still dunk in the dark.” The tweet was widely shared and helped to make Oreo a trending topic on Twitter.
- Blendtec: Blendtec is a blender company that is known for its “Will it blend?” videos. In these videos, Blendtec blends everything from iPhones to golf balls. The videos are very popular online and have helped to make Blendtec a household name.
How to create a successful guerrilla marketing campaign
If you’re considering running a guerrilla marketing campaign, here are a few tips:
- Be creative: Guerrilla marketing is all about being creative and thinking outside the box. Don’t be afraid to try new and different things.
- Be relevant: Your guerrilla marketing campaign should be relevant to your brand and target audience. Make sure that your campaign is something that your target audience will find interesting and engaging.
- Be surprising: Guerrilla marketing is all about the element of surprise. Try to come up with a campaign that will shock and delight your target audience.
- Be affordable: Guerrilla marketing campaigns should be affordable to execute. Don’t break the bank trying to create a viral campaign.
Guerrilla marketing is a low-cost, high-impact way to reach your target audience. If you’re looking for a way to promote your brand and generate buzz, guerrilla marketing is a great option.